Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lakes District

Welcome to the new and improved looking blog.

We had a fabulous weekend relaxing in the Lakes District with Helen and Chris.  It had been ages since we last hung out with them so its was neat to finally catch up. 
Nath and I arived in Hawkshead around noon on Saturday and looked through the small town.  The famous poet William Wordsworth was schooled in this wee village!  When Helen and Chris arrvied we had lunch and then did a small walk around a local lake. 


Proof that money does grow on trees!

On Sunday we rose early to hike (really we walked - but hike sounds more hard core) up a hill to get some amazing views over Lake Windermere.  There was talk from Chris that Lake Windermere was very large, but when I got home I conducted research comparing Windermere to Lake Taupo.  Windermere is 14.7 sq km and Taupo is 616 sq km!!  By NZ standards Windermere isn't very big, but it is the largest lake in England.  In the afternoon we caught a ferry over to another small village called Ambleside.  It was a lovely sunny day and cold beers were enjoyed in the afternoon sun.  We came across a park with a mini putt and pitch and putt course.  After Nath and Chris deliberated for a good 10min over which they would rather play we realised nobody else was playing and concluded that the golf office wasn't open. 

I like the horse fare
Looking back to Hawkshead from our vantage point on the hill
Approaching Ambleside
This Friday Nath and I are off to Turkey for a quick stop for ANZAC day.  We are not going to see a lot of Turkey only Istanbul and Gallipoli.  Our main mission in Turkey is to find a replacement for Naths famous Turkey t-shirt that Zane bought him years ago from the markets in Istanbul.  It was Naths fav tee but got stolen off his washing line Queen St.
This is a link to our tour: http://traveltalktours.com/traveltalk_anzac_a5.html    We are going to do a cruise on the Bosphorus and camp under the stars at Gallipoli.  Nath is really looking forward to having time off work and getting away.  I forget that I am in to my third week of holidays and Nath has worked right through them. 
Today I have started packing up our few possessions in preparation for our move up North.  When we arrive back from Turkey I have two days of work then we are in Paris and the day we get back from Paris is moving day! 
Massive hype for the Royal Wedding.  It is impossible to escape.  England is feeling very patriotic and there are loads of Union Jacks everywhere and lots of tacky of memorabilia.
Hoscakal (Turkish for goodbye).

1 comment:

  1. How amazing that trip of yours sound? I would be thrilled for such an experience. I have only done europe trips for students where I reached once Paris, but only for a few days and I would really love to go back there, it was really beautiful because it was june and the weather was sunny and warm.
    I was very pleased with the agancy ( https://unitrips.es/ ) because everybody on the trip was also studying and I had a lot of fun but now I look for other options.
    If you could give me advice it would be much appreciate.

    ReplyDelete