Saturday, March 27, 2010

1st week in London

The row of houses where we live in Herne Hill

Me outside Grandma's house


Nath took this photo - and thinks its quite good cause you can see my eyes and mouth!



London has been great so far!
I have had 2 days of work. The 1st school I went to was really poorly organised and the students behaviour was terrible (it put me off teaching in London). My agency later admitted that it was one of their tougher schools on their books. Good move sending me to a tough school on my 1st day. My other agency sent me to a much nicer school, although stil not brilliant. Students involvement in PE lessons is minimal and the teachers seem ok with this. On Tuesday I am working at a school that is looking to employ me for 4 weeks afte easter break. They have seen my cv and are really keen to see me teach. This 4 week stint could lead to a permanent job for the beginning of the school year. This school achieved top 75 GCSE results and is only 2 stops away on the overland rail :)
Nathan has had several interviews with recruitment agencies and has an interview with a company on Thursday.
At the moment we are living in Herne Hill which is a really cool suburb with lots of character. Its only 8mins by overland rail to Victoria station. Next stop down the road is Brixton which doesn't have a good name, but has a vibrant feel to it. Not sure how long we will be in Herne Hill as we are bunking down for 3 weeks in a spare room. 2 weeks to go then we might be living under the rail bridge!
Today we have done a little spot of sight seeing. We went to the London Museum because entrance is free and learnt a lot of the history of London. After we went to Buckingham Palace and had a wee nosey. Tomorrow we might head to Clapham to check out the area, as we think this is where we want to settle. Clapham sounds like its an STI like "I got a bit of Clapham in the weekend" and "my Clapham is really itchy"
Easter is next weekend and Im excited to report that the easter bunny does appear to visit London :) Nath and I might pop on down to Brighton to catch up with my Uncle and to see a bit more of Britain.
The weather is fairly poos - not freezing cold but still need to wear a jacket when venturing out. The morning has good weather but it clouds over and gets dark by lunch time.
M&N

No comments:

Post a Comment